Saturday, February 7, 2009

Scot McKnight on Pastoral Calling

I seldom link to Scot McKnight's Jesus Creed blog because I imagine everyone reads it already, but Scot's rant on "pastor pages on church websites" from a month ago stuck with me:
What annoyed me about these sites was the utter absence of a sense of the sacred in pastoring, of the overwhelming sense of God's call upon a life that reaches so deep that everything becomes holy, of the profound respect and privilege of the call to lead God's people, and of the total lack of order. The sense we hear today of being real and authentic doesn't mean we devalue the pastoral calling of its sanctity. I couldn't and wouldn't call any of these folks "Reverend." If I were a visitor, I'd go somewhere else.
Hmm...I wonder what this means for those of us who teach in confessional academic settings for a living.

This is as good a time as any to mention that Scot McKnight will be coming to Saskatchewan as the keynote speaker for Briercrest's Serve conference (March 27-28).

No comments: