Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Retrospect and Prospect 2026 Edition

Nine years ago today when the world was young, before Covid, before Zoom, before AI, before Brexit, and before the latest chaos in Washington and the Middle-East, our little family departed for Cambridge, England so the other Dr. Miller could begin work on her PhD. After dropping my daughter off at primary school, I would cycle across town to the research library at Tyndale House where I rented a desk. (What better location for a mid-life crisis?) I also attended seminars at the Faculty of Divinity, and participated in a short-lived Philo of Alexandria Greek reading group led by the late James K. Aitken.

Toward the end of our time in Cambridge, Professor Aitken, in his characteristic generosity, invited me to dine with him at Fitzwilliam College. As I related to Jim what I had been up to during my almost two years in Cambridge, I mentioned that I had flown home three times to teach three different courses. “Oh,” Jim responded, “That’s a 50% load then.” At Cambridge, apparently, three courses per year is a full teaching load. I didn’t have the heart to explain that at my institution a full annual teaching load is seven courses per year. 

Because a former colleague took a job closer to his family in the States too late for us to hire a replacement, I get to teach more Hebrew than I anticipated this year. Here is what my (overload) assignment looks like for the year ahead: 

Fall Semester
Introductory Hebrew I 
Introductory Hebrew II (see this post for more details)
Advanced Hebrew Syntax and Exegesis
Jewish Backgrounds to Exegesis
(All four courses are cross-listed between the college and seminary; the seminary version of each course is also open to students at a distance over Zoom.)

Winter Semester
Hebrew Syntax and Exegesis I
Hebrew Syntax and Exegesis II
BLST 109 Introduction to the New Testament
BLST 304 Acts  

It will be a full year. Expect radio silence.


 

 

No comments: