Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Blogging Prospectus

The following are a few of the things I would like to blog about over the next months as I have time:
  • A few people responded to my rejection of the idea that one can extract timeless truth from the Bible and discard the culturally conditioned husk. I would like to offer an explanation, which will likely be built around a few choice quotations from Richard B. Hays's excellent, The Moral Vision of the New Testament (HarperCollins, 1996).
  • My post on Francis Watson got me thinking about the production rates of NT scholars. In my view, quantity of publications is a doubtful measure of academic success. The flourishing Biblical Studies publication industry is as likely a sign of cancer as it is of health. But I think it will still be interesting to find out what, on average, can be expected of first-rate scholars.
  • "Sundays" are for Volf...as I finish chapters. If the 2 page/week trend continues, this may take a while.
  • Maybe I will have more to say in the "What's in a Name?" series.
  • I will certainly post more pictures of Shoshana to make sure my family keeps checking the blog from time to time.
  • I also have some ideas for one-off posts.
  • Other suggestions?
Okay, back to work!

1 comment:

Eric said...

David - Thanks for continuing to post - I completely agree with you about the impossibility of extracting timeless truths from the cultural framework and language and thought world and poetry of the Bible. I think God communicated to us that way not in order to give us an obstacle to get past, but because he loves his creation and the different cultures created beings come up with. It is an affirmation of the goodness of creation - one we shouldn't try to work against!

Do continue!