Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Orleans New Orleans

I'm heading down to the "Big Easy" tomorrow morning, and I confess I'm concerned about falling off the wagon. So far this year, I've been pretty good at sticking to my new year's resolution, but I always knew the hardest test would come in New Orleans . . . at the Society of Biblical Literature's massive book display: How can you resist row on row of book displays featuring the major publishers in Biblical Studies, with discounts at 40-50% (or more)?

Since I know I am going to purchase books again next year it is easy to rationalize starting now, when the prices are good. But then I glance at all the books on my shelf from previous years that I still haven't read, and renew my resolve. Still, it can't hurt to browse a little...

My other concern is finishing my paper: The way things are going, I may spend Friday afternoon and all day Saturday confined to my hotel room working away on Sunday morning's presentation.

No comments: