Thursday, December 6, 2018

John Newton on Learning the Biblical Languages

After describing how he taught himself Latin (see the previous post), John Newton goes on to say how he gave it up for the sake of Christ:
"In short, in the space of two or three voyages I became tolerably acquainted with the best classics …. [A]t length I conceived a design of becoming Ciceronian myself, and thought it would be a fine thing indeed to write pure and elegant Latin.--I made some essays towards it, but by this time the Lord was pleased to draw me nearer to himself, and to give me a fuller view of the 'pearl of great price,' the inestimable treasure hid in the field of the holy scripture, and for the sake of this, I was made willing to part with all my new acquired riches. I began to think that life was too short (especially my life) to admit of leisure for such elaborate trifling. Neither poet or historian could tell me a word of Jesus, and I therefore applied myself to those who could." - 166-7

I find this posture--one is tempted to call it "anti-intellectual"--a bit unfortunate. Why can't you be devoted to God and read the classics? Newton seems almost to boast in the next excerpt about never reading Classical Greek, when that would only help, not hinder, a reading of the New Testament, and he goes on to remark, "I would rather be some way useful to others, than die with the reputation of an eminent linguist." Why must it be one or the other? Still, for Newton, who left school when he was 10 years old, being an "anti-intellectual" meant teaching himself Greek, Hebrew and Syriac (Aramaic):
"I devoted my life to the prosecution of spiritual knowledge, and resolved to pursue nothing but in subservience to this main design. This resolution divorced me … from the classics and mathematics. My first attempt was to learn so much Greek, as would enable me to understand the New Testament and Septuagint; and when I had made some progress this way, I entered upon the Hebrew the following year; and two years afterwards, having furnished some advantages from the Syriac version, I began with that language. You must not think that I have attained or ever aimed at a critical skill in any of these: I had no business with them, but as in reference to something else. I never read one classic author in the Greek; I thought it too late in life to take such a round in this language, as I had done in the Latin. ... In the Hebrew I can read the historical books and psalms with tolerable ease; but in the prophetical and difficult parts I am frequently obliged to have recourse to Lexicons, etc. However, I know so much, as to be able, with such helps as are at hand, to judge for myself the meaning of any passage I have occasion to consult." - 204-5

Would that all pastors today were "anti-intellectuals" like Newton.

Bibliography: 



3 comments:

Gerry Todd said...

I don’t think he’s being anti intellectual.
Your reading something into his words by saying he is almost boasting over never having read a classical author, but of course you can’t know that by reading the words you quote.

He makes mention of his age and it would seem that he thought he didn’t have time to devote to both endeavours of reading the classics and the scriptures.
Quite an understandable decision.
Maybe in some instances the pursuit of “scholarship” can become an idol that can entice one away from the only thing that matters.
That’s not say I’m anti intellectual or anti Biblical scholarship, not at al,l scholarship is a necessary thing but must be kept in right place, one of service to Messiah and his followers.

I enjoy your blog.

d. miller said...

Thanks for your comment, Gerry. You are quite right to challenge me on my characterization of Newton as "anti-intellectual," and I re-worded the post slightly in an attempt to qualify my remarks. I expect Newton might say that he was only describing his own life situation, but the passage is presented in terms of an either/or, which could play into an unhelpful "anti-intellectual" false opposition between either being a linguist and serving Christ. My main point, of course, is that Newton's pursuit of "spiritual knowledge" led him to study the biblical languages. Nowadays, alas, that is all too rare.

Gerry said...

Thanks David.

I take your point.

Too rare indeed does the pursuit of spiritual knowledge lead one to study the biblical languages.